Wednesday, July 29, 2015

In a bit of a Pickle...













We've been in a bit of a pickle lately... that is our vegetable garden has been doing well, however, we planted our crops in a different spot this year and are learning that some plants are getting too little/too much sun and/or too much/too little water.  That being said our cucumbers have been coming in by the bunches (2-3 a day!) and since I'm sure our neighbors are tired of finding cucumbers in their mailboxes, it was time we made pickles.  Being afraid of canning, I decided for our first time we'd try refrigerator pickles.  While I love bread and butter pickles, I found this recipe for dill pickles (that calls for fresh dill!) and decided we needed to try it.  We still have lots of cucumbers coming in after all, so we have plenty of time for a variety before summer is over.

Monday I told Chloe and Yates we were going to make pickles, and as much as I tried to explain to them what we were doing, Chloe kept asking when we were going to bake them, and Yates kept pointing to the oven.  It was a special afternoon for all of us- and reminded me of their eagerness to learn and grow.  Going outside to pick the cucumbers from our garden, watching Mommy cut, measure, and then helping to pour the ingredients into jars gave me the realization that the best lessons in life can be taught in the kitchen.  Showing our love for others and giving away jars of pickles to our dearest friends is something my children can take ownership for- and I for that I am very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment