Friday, January 9, 2015

Growing Up






I can't believe she really is three, and Yates turns two next month.  While things have gotten easier since they were younger, some things get harder.

A few things I miss about them being so little, and a few things I don't...

I miss...

1 // Naptime.  While Yates is a good sleeper, Chloe resists her naps, and has for quite some time.  There was a time when Yates was a newborn that Chloe still took both a morning and an afternoon nap, while Yates slept most of the day too. I watched a lot of Downton Abbey, and drank my coffee while it was still hot, and thought it was the hard life (and it was, at the time).

2 //  Quiet.  Babies can't argue, or insist on wearing their pajamas to school, or shoes to bed.  And they can't argue with one another about who had the book first. The car was a quiet place too, but now we discuss (and argue about) every plane, train and automobile we encounter as we drive down the road.

3 // Dinner.  When they were younger Chloe and Yates would eat earlier, and Mike and I would be able to actually eat (taste) our dinner later together, and without having to get up to get someone juice, an extra napkin, pick something up off the floor, pick a booger...

4 // Sleeping... with only one child in our bed.  Chloe has always slept in our bed.  From the time she came home from the hospital she has been in our bed at night.  Yates has been a great sleeper and has preferred his own bed, but now sleeps in our bed 5 out of 7 nights in our bed (he finally realized what he was missing).  So there are usually 5 "people" in our bed on any one given night- Chloe, Yates, Coach and of course Mama and Dada.

5 // A clean house. Before when I only had one toddler things weren't quite so difficult to pick up.  The messes weren't so big and there weren't so many toys. The toys were also much smaller and didn't require so many pieces with each one. Now puzzle pieces and hot wheel cars can usually be found in at least 15 different places around our house, and in shoes as we are getting dressed in the mornings.


I don't miss...

1 // Naptime.  Because I get to spend more one-on-one time with Chloe.  And she is always so happy during this time when she doesn't have to compete with Yates's attention.  I also get to spy on Yates and watch him sleep. I love the way he always sleeps in the same position every time, with his blue blanket and his hands folded behind his head.

2 // Quiet.  Now we can have conversations and their personality shines.  They constantly make me laugh and my day even better than I could ever have imagined.  Chloe usually sings at some point while we are in the car together and hearing her sing "Jesus Loves Me" is the most magical thing I've ever heard.

3 // Dinner.  Because having dinner together as a family is priceless, and we can have conversations about what we have done that day and say our dinner prayer together.

4 // Sleeping.  It is overrated, or so I'd like to think.  And waking up snuggled next to my babies warm and cozy is the best way to start my day.

5 // A clean house. My house is now filled with toys, toys, toys.  Which leads to happiness, giggles, and... happiness. So I've learned to accept the fact that I might find cars in shoes, and lipstick on walls, but I will also find two happy children... and that my friends, is what makes me truly happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment