Saturday, August 16, 2014

Being a Coach's Wife



 
 


I knew my husband long before we were married.  I went to his football games because I loved football, and I loved watching the intensity that was played on the field.  I felt a part of it, as most fans do and I was mesmerized by the passion my husband coached with.  Once we started dating and then married I already knew about the sacrifices that coach's wives make.  It's part of our life, and I will always support him and the incredible job he does with his young athletes.  I've been called a single mom numerous times.  In some ways I can't disagree, my husband is gone starting in August from 6:30 am until 8:30 pm or later Monday through Friday, and on Saturday until 12:00 pm.  Once the season starts, and the stadium lights are lit, our Friday nights are spent watching him from afar in the stands and hubby's home as late as 3:00 am - then he works Sundays straight from church until possibly after dinner or later.  There are many days of the week that my husband never sees our children -or only sees them for a few minutes at a time, because he leaves in the morning before they wake up and comes home at night after they've gone to bed.  The season can last until December, and after that there are still workouts everyday.  There is never a day off.  There is never an off-season.

If you ask my children where Daddy is during the day they will say football.  Once when we went to visit Daddy at practice Chloe referred to the football field as Daddy's office.  To some people it may be a bit much - to most "normal" people it is - but it is the dedication that my husband has to his sport that I admire the most about him.  If you ask me what I'm doing on a Friday night during his football games I'll tell you I am happily watching and cheering his team from the stands - but truth be told I am a nervous wreck.  I never eat before or during a game because I will get sick to my stomach.  I bite my nails and say too many prayers, negotiating "if they make this first down I promise I won't ever... or if they make this touchdown then I will never, ever ...again" that God himself has to be annoyed.  Some plays I can't even watch, my anxiety takes over and it is too much because I know how hard my husband and his players have worked and I can't bear to see them disappointed.

Football is intense.  Being a coach's wife is intense.  It isn't for the weak-hearted.  I am proud of our little team (Mama, Chloe, and Yates) and how much passion we bring to Daddy's games every Friday night.  We are his biggest fans, both on the field and off.

Go Wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment